Thursday, January 22, 2009

Plate full of Password Problems

Every week or so something fun gets tossed onto my brimming plate, and today it's the turn of password management. It's a pain in the ass, full stop, and now I'm to look at smoothing troubled waters by implementing some kind of solution that'll enable our users to reset their own passwords: memorable question kind of thing. It's the kind of thing that even a year ago would have had me in a cold sweat, thinking of all the possible security horrors. I seem to have undergone some kind of transformation though - if it adds to the user experience, makes students and the helpdesk's lives easier, then I'm all for it, and I'll deal with the security horror if it appears. Quest's Password Manager looks like it might do the do. How easy it'll be to implement is, of course, entirely another matter.

So Microsoft's officially cutting jobs. And they can't even bring themselves to issue a revenue / profit forecast. Share price fell nigh on 10%. Not a good week for them.

1 comment:

  1. I've been using Password Safe ( http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/ ) and been really happy with it. Single files, which means you can even do revision control. Very flexible, free, and multiplatform.

    ReplyDelete

I'm having a look. Deal with it.