Thursday, January 15, 2009

Times like this can make a man nervous.

So, the seemingly impregnable Google's laying off workers. The guys and girls for the axe are 100 recruitment workers, so don't be hankering for that job at Mountain View any time soon. And the old company of new Yahoo! CEO Carol Bartz (already labelled in some areas of the press as "foul mouthed", although personally, "friggin'" doesn't register on my radar unless it's uttered by a cheeky matelot with a glint in his eye), Autodesk, has also put the knife in today.

And now Microsoft's wielding the axe, according to some sources. Or not. Either way, it's a fair bet there'll be few requests for a pay rise at the software giant anytime soon.

Sign of the times? I did some crystal ball gazing for work this afternoon, trying to come up with a three-year plan. Practically an impossible task, given the pace in change of the world around us right now.

What did I come up with? Well, if we're going to upgrade from Server 2003 we'll be facing some pretty substantial hardware costs as 2008 R2 is 64 bit only. I'm sure there''ll be a few issues on the back of that one, given the number of legacy apps we're running. Virtualization will be something we'll make more of, although I suspect we'll be looking closely at other offerings beside VMWare.

The other thing that I feel I have a duty to look at is exactly what parts of our server estate could be candidates for moving into the Cloud. Now, my knowledge of the possibilites that Azure, Google and whatever it is that Amazon eventually comes up with is tiny. Nothing at all, in fact, beyond knowing that they're going to be there. But it seems a funny time, to be sure, to be leading the charge in a direction which could very well put me out of a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm having a look. Deal with it.